Monday, October 5, 2009

Village stay

I had a chance to live in a rural Moroccan village for 3 days/4 nights. The village was a 3 1/2 hour drive into the country from Rabat. The village itself was beautiful. It was set in what seemed to be the foothills of mountains, maybe the atlas. It was very hilly higher peaks visible on the horizon. The house I was in was overlooking a sort of valley, which was beautiful. They grow olive and eucalyptus trees all over, which made the landscape beautiful.

I lived with a family consisting of a mother, father, 3 daughters, 1 son, 1 uncle, and 2 grandparents. Life was simple, very simple. I would wake up and eat breakfast, then I would go out and help (I should say "try to help) her sheep and goats. Then you would eat lunch and rest a little bit, and after that it was more herding or some other kind of work. I would eat dinner when it got dark, and then after that it was more or less time to sleep. Its the kind of lifestyle where you sleep when the sun goes down, and wake when it comes up.

As I think about what else to share about the village stay I realize that there really is just too much to blog. I'll have to share more in person when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment